Anyone trying to register a new account:

The forums are currently being targeted by spambots, so new registrations will have to be manually approved by an admin. I'll try to check the list at least once a day, but if you want to be approved more quickly, or if you've been falsely marked as a spammer, please message elwing.alcyone at Gmail.

- midwinter

Toggle shoutbox The Disco Shack Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Strobe lighting and the scent of musty old books rises from within the fog...
suprimeking : (10 July 2019 - 11:11 AM) discord is acting up on me again
Gbarchetta : (28 July 2019 - 06:20 PM) Urgh, I want a new entry in the series :(
Jamie : (28 July 2019 - 07:29 PM) Same here :C
Meital : (29 February 2020 - 08:45 PM) GabSmolders is having Fatal Frame marathon on Twitch! Just FYI if you're interested watching someone play FF :)
Rheo : (23 April 2020 - 10:38 AM) Been so long
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 06:21 PM) You better run.
ItsukiFace : (28 May 2020 - 08:46 PM) I'd rather be dry, but at least I'm alive.
thomas06 : (25 July 2020 - 10:32 PM) Hey Guys!
NuMetalWolf : (30 August 2020 - 09:46 AM) It's been 6 years.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:36 PM) 12, actually. I wasn't counting the time i spent here before the move out.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:39 PM) To whoever reads this, I wish you all good luck.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:46 PM) Stay safe, everyone.
NuMetalWolf : (02 September 2020 - 05:47 PM) Bye.
suprimeking : (07 November 2020 - 02:02 PM) hey is discord working for everyone else
NuMetalWolf : (21 November 2020 - 03:15 PM) I don't think there's been anyone on this site in a long time. This is sad.
Rheo : (08 December 2020 - 03:40 PM) no one's actually saying anything in the posts either
ItsukiFace : (10 December 2020 - 03:04 PM) The site's just going through a bit of a dry spell, I'm sure the tempo will pick up soon enough.
ItsukiFace : (30 December 2020 - 06:34 AM) Happy Holidays, BCL Family!
Meital : (06 January 2021 - 01:54 PM) It's 2021 and 20th anniversary for Fatal Frame series this year! I missed you guys!
Tigermausbaer : (06 January 2021 - 11:54 PM) Hello, i wish everyone a happy new year!

Photo
- - - - -

Scarier than Fatal Frame 1?

Fatal Frame Fatal Frame II Opinion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Super00141

Super00141

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

I heard people say that Fatal Frame 1 is scarier. But I disagree.

I think 2 is much scarier. In the first one I was scared of dying. In Fatal Frame 2, I'm not scared to die because this game is easy, but I'm genuinly unsettled. (I have been watching horror movies ever since I was really young, and I just dont get super scared, disturbed, or disgusted anymore :/ But the Fatal Frame series is bringing back that nostalgic fear I used to feel...) Random ghosts were common in Fatal Frame 1, so I always expected them. But in Fatal Frame 2, they are not as common. So its unexpected when I run into them. Also, I should add my only fear is Onryo. Which is basically what this game is full of :D (This is also why I love Japanese Horror!)

I really like this game. its kind of like a haunted house. You walk through the rooms and something startles you, but your not worried about being sent back to the beggining, you can just enjoy the ride!

What do you guys think?

• Sosezi likes this

#2 OFFLINE   AnimalLover47999

AnimalLover47999

Destroyer of ad hominems.

• Spirited Aways
  • 715 posts
  • LocationIn a nest made of the Kusabi's hair.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

I think 1 is much scarier than 2.

#3 OFFLINE   NightWynx

NightWynx

Unknown Victim

• Spirited Aways
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

FF2 is the first game I played before FF1 and I thought it was scarier than the first game.

But when I played FF1, O____O Man, not only ghosts there are tough..some of them scared me sh*tless. I swear when I encountered Koji, I was screaming my heads off. And he's just the first T_T

The grainy/deformed graphics kinda adds to the creepy look of the ghosts, I dunno. 

another signature By darkamy chan d5lb1zl

Sakakibara-kun...Do you want to be the dead one?

#4 OFFLINE   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

I think that FF2 is the least scary game in the series. It's really so utterly soaked in the shoujo-twincest aspect that it kind of loses sight of putting together well-sequenced scares. That, and when you have ghosts like Chitose - come on, now, how am I supposed to be scared of that? 

This is not a big knock on FF2, I still love that game and it's still very scary. 

But the image of Koji appearing behind the door is a scar on my brain tissue. 

Plus, I think that FF1 running at 60 frames per second in-game adds a lot to the horrific intimacy when the ghosts get up close. Can you image FF4, with all of its super up-close encounters, in 60 FPS? Gghhkklkh.

• ナガクラ likes this

#5 OFFLINE   BatCountry

BatCountry

Assistant Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 246 posts
  • Locationperforming the Kiraigou

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

In my opinion,FF1 is scarier than FF2 (thank you broken-neck) .

However, I prefer FF2 for various reasons, such as because of the scenario in FF2

and the unbearable invisible walls in FF1 >(

198003testsakuya.png

#6 OFFLINE   Yashuu

Yashuu

Photographer

• Spirited Aways
  • 312 posts
  • LocationNaked under a haori

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

I think FF1 is definitely scarier, bar a few high points in 2 like Peeping Child and the Sae chase. It's a lot more blunt in its approach, but more than anything I feel its atmosphere is more oppresive than FF2. FF2 is a bit too light and sort of magical imo.

DCB might be scarier than 1, but i find it difficult to judge, essentially having played the game 5 times before it came out.  I think I'd still lean towards 1.

• AnimalLover47999 likes this

ZR9JeXg.gif
i will jiggle into your soul

#7 OFFLINE   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 99 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

FF1 definitely has a very "raw" feel to it. Not just because of the quality of directing, but because the game had a "newness" to it - as the first Fatal Frame game, the continuity with respect to backtracking and discovery of new areas is not as polished as the sequels. It makes the player feel either very lost, or very trapped. 

#8 OFFLINE   Chasind_Valentine

Chasind_Valentine

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

I thought 1 was much scarier than 2 for several reasons..

-I thought 1 was much more difficult. I was on 1/4 health with no medicine more times than I can remember & things tend to feel scarier when you're running for your life right? 2 seemed to hand out medicine left and right

-1 had more frequent random encounters like you said, however I believe the opposite of what you described. I think having them for frequent makes you more fearful that a ghost could show up, rather than thinking in 2 "Well they never happen so I'm probably safe"

-1 had scarier looking ghosts I thought than 2 with the exception of Mourners & Fallen Woman. I also thought the ghosts just looked to standard. Just fighting a villager, villager, villager, priest, priest, villager can get extremely repetitive. But in 1, with randoms like Broken Neck/Blinded, they're just usually more scary & memorable

-The ghosts in 1 just seemed more aggressive. I usually like to wait for fatal frame chances, but in 2 I found myself sitting there, waiting for a ghost to get close to me, just to back off at the last second and I never understood why..

I did think that 2 had more memorable encounters at times though like Sae chase & Kusabi, but other than that I just think that 1 is scarier!  :icon_flutter:

#9 OFFLINE   Super00141

Super00141

Crimson Butterfly

• Spirited Aways
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

I think I messed up my terminology... Now that I think of it, I think I was actually meaning creepier, rather then scarier... Like the women in the box, the dolls. Just more creepy, not really scary...

I have a fear of dolls and onryo, so this game gives me more creeps then FF1 did.

#10 OFFLINE   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

It could be qualitatively "creepier" by sheer virtue of attention to just those sorts of aesthetics.

FF1 presents itself in a much more forthcoming way - "these are ghosts and they're freaking scary and you should be scared of them". 

FF2 definitely invokes a greater number of horror tropes, to be sure...but whether those are actually scarier is up to the viewer, naturally. I, for instance, don't find dolls to be all that unsettling all by their lonesome, and the scary context in which they are used in Japanese horror doesn't really hit home for me either. 

#11 OFFLINE   Sosezi

Sosezi

High School Student

• Spirited Aways
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

I heard people say that Fatal Frame 1 is scarier. But I disagree.

I think 2 is much scarier. In the first one I was scared of dying. In Fatal Frame 2, I'm not scared to die because this game is easy, but I'm genuinly unsettled. (I have been watching horror movies ever since I was really young, and I just dont get super scared, disturbed, or disgusted anymore :/ But the Fatal Frame series is bringing back that nostalgic fear I used to feel...) Random ghosts were common in Fatal Frame 1, so I always expected them. But in Fatal Frame 2, they are not as common. So its unexpected when I run into them. Also, I should add my only fear is Onryo. Which is basically what this game is full of :D (This is also why I love Japanese Horror!)

I really like this game. its kind of like a haunted house. You walk through the rooms and something startles you, but your not worried about being sent back to the beggining, you can just enjoy the ride!

What do you guys think?

i never Played FF1 but Agreed with you! FF2 are Scary and Cool!!  

#12 OFFLINE   FiliusMartis

FiliusMartis

Kagome, Kagome Player

• Administrators
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

In my experience, a lot of people are most affected by whichever game they played first. Now, I think FF2 is much creepier, but I'll also be up front about the fact that I played it first, so by the time I played FF1, I had more of an idea of what to expect. It might be interesting to ask this question with the question of which game was first included to see if the pattern persists. Anyway, I found the ghosts more unsettling and dynamic in FF2, which was a big part of it. Sometimes FF1 had more frustrating gameplay, but that wasn't creepy or scary to me, just irritating. Another thing was that I felt sincerely responsible for Mayu in a way I didn't for Mafuyu, and that contributed in a storyline way for me. I also found there to be more strange ambient things in FF2. There are some really nice ones in FF1, and the randomness makes them potentially more scary, but you can also play the game ten times and never trip them. Generally, FF2 felt more organic to me, more compelling all around, and that made it creepier.

#13 OFFLINE   Cursed Lemon

Cursed Lemon

Kid Playing Tag

• Spirited Aways
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

FF2 is definitely more well put-together as a production. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame II, Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users